There has been a resurgence of drive-in movie theatres, and we break down some of the best entertainment options (local food included) coming your way this month!
Drive In Experience
- The Starlight Drive-In in southeast Atlanta reopened in late April & The Swan Drive-In, located in Blue Ridge, is showing family-friendly double features to a large audience every weekend.
- Atlanta’s oldest operating cinema, The Plaza Theatre, has temporarily transformed into a drive-in movie theater in order to operate safely during the COVID-19 crisis. Neighboring restaurants serve as the Plaza’s drive-in concession stand!
- Southern Belle, chef Joey Ward’s new restaurant next to the theater, has already signed on to deliver concessions for the drive-in with a special takeout menu. Food is delivered to the car and placed on the hood.
- The Plaza’s drive-in accommodates just 40 cars, and features a 24-foot inflatable screen. An additional drive-in location resides in the parking lot at Dad’s Garage, which accommodates 50 cars. The Old Fourth Ward-based community theater shuttered temporarily in March. A portion of the proceeds from the drive-in goes to support the struggling theater.
- Tribeca Enterprises, IMAX and AT&T said Wednesday that they are partnering to launch “Tribeca Drive-In,” a summer programming series of new and classic films, music and sporting events. It’ll take place in drive-in theaters and “other exclusive venues” nationwide starting on Thursday, June 25. The lineup will be announced in the coming weeks. The organization said that they will work with local vendors to support small businesses and tailor the experience to each community.